First Methodist Church of Goldthwaite seeks to create disciples for Christ through worship and outreach. We seek to bring honor to God by following the model of Jesus Christ, which is made possible by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The basic beliefs of the First Methodist Church of Goldthwaite include:
- Triune God. God is one God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost).
- Scripture. The writings in the Old Testament and New Testament are the inspired word of God.
- Sin. While human beings were intended to bear the image of God, all humans are sinners for whom that image is distorted. Sin estranges us from God and corrupts human nature such that we cannot heal or save ourselves.
- Salvation through Jesus Christ. God's redeeming love is active to save sinners through Jesus' incarnate life and teachings, through his atoning death, his resurrection, his sovereign presence through history, and his promised return.
- Sacraments. First MC recognizes two sacraments: Holy Baptism and Holy Communion. In Holy Baptism, we believe that baptism is a sign of regeneration and new birth. We believe that in baptism, God initiates a covenant with individuals, and people become a part of God's Church. We practice baptism by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion. We share Holy Communion in a variety of methods, and believe the bread is a sign and remembrance of Jesus' body crucified on the cross and the cup is a sign and remembrance of Jesus' blood shed for humanity. We believe that this sacrament is a means of grace, therefore communion is open to all who love God and seek to follow Jesus.
- Free will. First MC believes that people, while corrupted by sin, are free to make their own choices because of God's divine grace.
- Grace. First MC believes that God gives unmerited favor freely to all people, though it may be resisted.